“Great leaders and managers make listening a priority,” Blake tells CNBC. “Not just any listening, active listening.” Like Ron Swanson from NBC’s “Parks and Recreation,” who often offers just the right amount of sage advice after lending a sympathetic ear.
By taking a step back and listening, you get a better sense of the problem. You can then make better decisions.
To get a better sense of what your team members need, Blake recommends asking these open ended questions in one-on-one meetings:
- What’s working best in your role?
- What strengths are you most excited about developing?
- When do you feel most in the zone?
Warm-up (10 minutes)
5 minutes of Rowing or Run (800m)
5 minutes of:
15 Air Squats
- about 4-5 rounds
Skill: Med-Ball Clean (Group Circle)
PROGRESSION DRILLS (WITH MEDICINE BALL)
10 Reps each
1. Deadlift w/ Medball
2. Deadlift-shrug fast
3. Front squat + Pull-under
4. Medicine-ball clean (Perform steps 1-3)
- Rest 1-2 minutes between progressions
3 Rounds of:
3 minutes Mix Plank Hold (Begin with a Front Plank, when it becomes difficult switch to a side plank, transition between the two planks until 3 minutes is up)
Rest 2 minutes between rounds
- Try to hold a combination of planking for the whole 3 minutes with good form.