Tip of the Day:
Sit-ups can cause compression in the lower back, eventually leading to pain/injury. Try anti-extension exercises like planks and bird dogs instead.
Superman’s can cause back pain, long-term damage and do not work the lower back in a functional way. Do bird dogs or back extensions instead.
Most core training puts too much emphasis on spine flexion. Excessive bending forward can pull the spine out of alignment, causing back pain & injury.
Active Recovery Day
Time Cap: 7 minutes
4 Rounds of:
3 minutes Mix Plank Hold (Begin with a Front Plank, when it becomes difficult switch to a side plank, transition between the two planks until 3 minutes is up)
Rest 2 minutes between rounds
Total Time: 18 minutes
- Try to hold a combination of planking for the whole 3 minutes with good form.
Breathing Exercise (3 Cycles)
- Get Comfortable. You can sit or lie on your back, but do not do this exercise while standing up.
- Do 30 power breaths. On the coach’s cue, you can start to deeply breathe in and out 30 times at a steady pace. Breath in through the nose, out through the mouth. Inhale fully but don’t exhale all the way out. As you inhale you should feel your belly rise and on the exhale, you should feel your belly fall. It may feel a bit like you are hyperventilating, but you are in control. you may also feel a tingling or lightheaded sensation throughout your whole body, when you do this for the first time. This is perfectly normal.
- Hold your breath with empty lungs. Your coach will set a stop watch. On breath #30, exhale and empty your lungs of air and refrain from breathing. Now Hold for as long as you can without force. During this time relax close your eyes and focus on the space between your eyes. Only start to breath when you can no longer resist the urge.
- Breath in for 10 seconds. Take a deep breath in and hold it for a further 10-15 seconds, before exhaling.
- Repeat steps 1-4. Relax and breath normally. we will repeat this breathing exercise 2 more cycles for a total of 3 cycles.